Auction house Christie’s had a good year in 2018, and celebrated 25 years as the leading house for sale of jewelry. That, of course, includes watches, and as another year-end roundup here we have the ten most expensive watches sold by the auction house over the course of the year.
10. Signed Richard Mille Perini Navi Cup Model: $566,014
Described by Christie’s as “an extremely rare and fine platinum and baguette-cut diamond-set tourbillon wristwatch with torque indicator and power reserve,” this watch ended up selling for a price right in the middle of its pre-sale price estimate range.
9. Unique Patek Philippe Chronograph: $614,766
This wristwatch, set in diamonds and 18k white gold, has a degradé black dial.
8. Patek Philippe 18k Gold Perpetual Calendar Chronograph Watch: $668,862
An indicator for the phases of the moon as well as a tachymeter are among this watch’s special features.
7. 1930 18k Patek Philippe Wristwatch: $708,500
A cushion shaped watch in 18k gold from way back in 1930 and sports almost 1100 diamonds.
6. 1969 Rolex Oyster Cosmograph, “Paul Newman” Model: $732,500
This watch from the 1969 heyday of legendary movie star Paul Newman, and was named after the actor, one contributing factor to its $732,500 auction price.
5. Platinum Patek Philippe: $753,277
Described by Christie’s as “exceptionally fine and important,” this high tech 2011 joint is stacked with myriad features, including day/night display, moon phases, and a leap year indicator.
4. 1944 Gold Patek Philippe: $912,500
This vintage gold watch from the very well represented Patek Philippe also represents a big jump in price, nearly to the seven figure margin.
3. 1956 Rolex Oyster Perpetual: $1,068,500
Our first million dollar watch is this 1956 beaut, featuring automatic time and a gilt “explorer dial.”
2. 1952 18k Rolex Oyster Perpetual Automatic Triple Calendar Wristwatch: $1,572,500
This “extremely fine, rare and attractive” 18k gold Rolex from 1952 sports a “Star Dial” as well as moon phases.
1. 1952 Patek Philippe 18k Gold Perpetual Calendar Chronograph Wristwatch: $3,234,905
By far the most expensive watch sold by Christie’s in 2018, this signed perpetual calendar chronograph wristwatch was first retailed by Serpico y Laino in Caracas, Venezuela.